Tuesday 12 November 2013

The Bystander Effect

I recently learned about the social phenomenon that is The Bystander Effect. The Bystander Effect is when a high number of people surrounding you in a certain place makes it substantially less likely for you, as an individual, to help a person in need. It had a profound impact on me and I was truly shocked by video footage of people who couldn't care less about helping a person who drastically required it. It is truly fascinating how we think that we have control over our own actions when that isn't the case at all. It's difficult to imagine how someone could just walk past a person in distress and not help but I have now found out that it's just a part of human behaviour and a shocking one at that. Below is one of the videos that I found particularly gripping albeit appalling...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSsPfbup0ac

No comments:

Post a Comment